Thursday, March 7, 2013

A concept poem about fish.



CONCEPT POEMS

The poem “A Fish Wish” is an example of my “Concept Poems”.  My concept poems have a deliberate academic purpose. I created my poems as a vehicle to teach concepts being taught in content areas of instruction.

High frequency words were used to make the transition from hearing the poem to reading the poem easier.  The poems are easy for the children to remember and chant. After a few recitations, the children know the poem and all the factual information it addresses about its subject!

Poem and rhyme are a powerful way to teach concepts.  The rhyme allows easy memorization and repeated readings allow the students to internalize the concepts being taught. 
Click poem for link to my store and complete Fish and Sea Life Thematic unit.

No comments:

Post a Comment